The evolution of finance.
It takes a certain kind of writing skills to make an otherwise dry subject as interesting as this. It is an interwoven classic of the evolution of finance. The events go back centuries in the past analysing why we have a certain kind of situation today. The explanations of historical events are eye opening such as:
• How did the Spanish thirst for gold contribute to inflation?
• The origin of banknotes and its similarity to promissory clay tablets of ancient Babylon
• The role of cotton bonds in the fall of the Confederacy
• The origin of the Fibonacci sequence and the evolution of mathematics in Europe
• The events that led to the birth of banking
• History of financial markets, property markets and hedge funds
It is a very fascinating read as he gives his perspective of how finance plays a very crucial role in shaping countries and societies. The book is rich with detailed examples and it takes up time to finish this book as it covers such a vast area. It studies the effects of boom/busts and their consequences. He throws light onto the brilliant minds who have helped shape our modern reality of money. Niall Ferguson is successful in depicting our current financial position into the larger context of history.
We recommend it to anyone who likes finance, history and good quality content.
Tejas is the Co-Founder & CEO at FYERS, the youngest team to get NSE’s broker license. He has a specialization in finance and has over 10 years of work experience spanning across proprietary trading, risk management, and broking. Tejas & his team started FYERS, a technology-focused brokerage as a mission to transform the trading/investment landscape in India.